LED Indicators on C3 Corvette

Front Page Forums The Clubrooms Automotive Discussions Technical Discussions Electrical LED Indicators on C3 Corvette

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce Bowen 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    James Gellately
    James Gellately
    Participant

Total posts : 3

Has anyone successfully used LED indicator/parking lamps on a C3 Corvette?

Bruce Bowen
    Participant

Total posts : 4

Hi James, I’m running LED on a 1974 C3, but just a dual in the backup/tail light, ie, I’ve taken the red off the dual back brake lights and converted the backup/reversing to be a dual white/amber indicator. Been OK for 2 years now, and there are also LED conversion kits Online (Ecklers etc to do the whole back lights). Parking lamps on the front I just used amber globes (Autobahn).

James Gellately
    James Gellately
    Participant

Total posts : 3

Thanks for the info Bruce.
    Jim

Andrew Richards
    Andrew Richards
    Participant

Total posts : 1

Hi James.
    I’ve just had my indicators changed to LED switchback bulbs. Running through the reverse lens.
    Not cheap though. Here’s the link to Ecklers for the 1157 sockets, and ebay for the bulbs.

2x 1157 Dual Color Switchback White/Amber 60-SMD LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs
    You also need 2x 50W 6Ohm Load Resistors to stop hyperflash.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvette-taillight-turn-signal-and-stop-light-socket-with-wire-1975-1982.html

Bruce Bowen
    Participant

Total posts : 4

And some more info Jim, depending on your setup as yours is a later model I think (1978 versus my 1974), so changing the backup, I had fitment issues as it’s a 1156 single that needs to go to a 1157, and you can get the sockets with wire here (Bursons, Autobahn, Repco) but I discovered on mine the socket lugs on 1157 are different to the 1156, so I had to shave off some of the lugs so it would go into the original lens and then twist to lock. Also, I found the 1157 bulbs are longer than the 1156, so I had to get 2 highpower CREE LED switchback amber/white for the rear, and also unscrew the clear diffuser on them so they are bright for roadworthy and also they become approx. 5mm shorter with no diffuser as they are snug against the outer lens. So, it was quite a bit of trial and error with the sockets and different suppliers have different lugs too, to finally get a pair that works.
    Similar to this, but I’ll have to look at the specs for mine and who I sourced them thru (I actually got a couple of different pairs.. trying to find one short enough). https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1157-CREE-30W-White-Amber-Dual-Color-LED-Bulb-Switchback-DRL-Turn-Signal-Light/253714526532?hash=item3b12907144:g:BwgAAOSwSbxbM2ON

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.