Changing computer chip in a 1985 C4

Front Page Forums The Clubrooms Automotive Discussions Restoration Tips & Tricks Changing computer chip in a 1985 C4

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by David O'Neil David O’Neil 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Steve O’Kane
    Participant

Total posts : 6

I’ve seen Hypertech advertise an upgrade replacement for the stock chip in a C4. Can anyone provide advice about having upgraded a chip? Was it worth it? Is the fuel economy affected?
    If working better, where is the best place to buy one?
    Any advice appreciated
    Regards
    Steve

David O'Neil
    David O’Neil
    Participant

Total posts : 7

Hi Steve,

I have changed the Computer in my 1989 C4. Its a job that can be done reasonable easily. I changed mine a few years ago to give the car a bit more horse power and to bypass the emission controls. Mine also is designed to make the Auto to change into fourth gear at 80 rather than the standard 60 KPH. It didn’t seem to make much difference to the fuel economy.

David #3357.

Steve O’Kane
    Participant

Total posts : 6

Thanks Dave

What sort of chip did you put in? and where is best to source it?
    I’m thinking I might do the same.

Regards

Steve #4805

David O'Neil
    David O’Neil
    Participant

Total posts : 7

I got mine from a guy in the US off the Corvette forum Just sent him a email asking what could be done. He can either change your original chip or send you a total new one. I went the new option just in case I got told I needed to do a sniffer test.
    The guys name is Brian Van Schoiack and here is the link to the forum
    https://www.corvetteforum.com/ you will need to set up a profile and a password to make contact. However if you cant get on to him there are other people that do the same thing.
    David #3357

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.